October 26, 2019, 11:30 p.m.
UPDATE ON HOW POWER SHUTOFF AND FIRE EVACUATIONS ARE AFFECTING PETALUMA
Here is a quick update on how the fire and power shutoff emergencies are affecting Petaluma:
- Sonoma Water Agency equipment is now operating on emergency power. Please limit your water use until further notice.
- Areas of Petaluma have no power. Be aware that traffic signals and street lights may not work. Avoid unnecessary travel throughout the city and use caution when approaching intersections where traffic signals are not operating.
- The wind event is expected to start around midnight Sunday, 10/27. The wind could cause downed trees and power lines. Be aware of your surroundings and use caution. Contact the police non-emergency line (707-778-4372) to report downed power lines or trees.
- The status of the Petaluma shelters is as follows:
- Petaluma Fairgrounds: No room for people; still accepting large animals in trailers (enter at Gate 4 off Payran).
- Petaluma Community Center: Room for 150 evacuees (no pets at this time).
- Vets Building: No longer accepting evacuees at this time.
- If you want to help: contact Petaluma People Services Center at email@example.com, call 707-529-1201, or fill out an application in person at the Kenilworth Teen Center.
This will be our last planned update for the evening. We will continue to monitor the situation and send additional alerts if necessary. Look for more updates Sunday after 8:00 a.m.
For up-to-date emergency information, tips for using generators, driving during a power shutoff, and other important safety and health information, visit the Sonoma County Emergency Website or review the Fact Sheet. For support and information call 2-1-1 or visit https://211sonoma.org/.