The 1938 fire station on D Street represents one of the few Art Deco buildings in Petaluma. Funding for the station came in part from a Public Works Administration grant. The architect was Petaluma-based Brainerd Jones and the Adam Arras & Sons of San Francisco were the building contractors.
Planning for a new firehouse had begun in 1923. Architect Brainerd Jones designed the building, and in 1925 George McNear donated the lot at Second and ‘D’ Streets. In 1938 the $45,000.00 firehouse was finally erected; $18,180.00 of the funds came from a New Deal Public Works Administration grant, and the balance came from a bond issue. The department also purchased two American La France 750-gallon pumpers, and improved the sewage system with the balance of the bond money.
The fire station continues to operate today.